The Power of Daily Devotions.
Part 3 – How to have a fruitful Devotional Session.
Welcome to session #3 of the “Small Groups” season at Joy Fountain.
It is interesting that we have yet to define what a fruitful devotional session is. Well, here we go: A fruitful Devotional Session is one where we meet the Father regularly for fellowship in order to receive spiritual nourishment from Him. Jesus lived a life of daily devotion to God and as His disciples, we should follow in His footsteps. See Mark 1:35, Deuteronomy 8:3, Matthew 4:4, 1 John 1:6, Colossians 2:6
We must understand that spiritual nourishment is vital to our lives and we must receive such from the right source which is The Father of spirits Himself. The first temptation of Jesus in the wilderness had to do with making a choice between natural (food) nourishment and spiritual nourishment. He rightly pivoted to spiritual nourishment using Deuteronomy 8:3 as His reference. And that is what really and truly sustains our lives.
Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. And when He had fasted forty days and forty nights, afterward He was hungry. Now when the tempter came to Him, he said, “If You are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread.”
But He answered and said, “It is written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.’ ”Matthew 4:1-4 NKJV
Jesus set the example of a morning or daily devotional habit as we established from the last small group meeting discussions and the scriptures we read. Jesus did this for continuous fellowship with the Father. It was the source of His strength and power. If we are so engaged as well for ourselves it will be the source of our strength and power. Amen! References Mark 1:35, Luke 6:12, Matthew 14:23
Memory Verses from Previous Sessions:
In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.1 Thessalonians 5:18 NKJV
Try Today’s Memory Verse Exercise:
He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked.1 John 2:6 NKJV
Scripture Reading: Joshua 5:13-15 and 6:1-5
- What stood out to you in the Scripture text? Discuss these briefly.
Guided Group Discussions
In our last discussion, we looked at items 1 and 2 Thanksgiving and Read and Meditate in the scriptures. Today we continue with 3 and 4 below.
3. Pray the Scriptures
The Scriptures reveal God’s will. By praying through the verses you have read or meditated in you are inviting God’s will into your life as well as others you pray for.
- Looking at our scripture text in Joshua 5:13-15 and 6:1-5 can you find one or more prayer requests from the account?
- How would you pray?
4. Bring your requests to God.
Besides the scripture verses you read that help focus your mind on God’s will during a devotional session also bring general and specific requests to God. Ask in Jesus’ name. Never forget that no matter how long you have been a believer.
- Philippians 4:6-7
- Hebrews 4:14-16
- John 14:13-14, 1 John 5:14-15
Believe He hears you and will answer.
Part 3 Conclusion/Summary
To have a fruitful devotional time with the Father, we must make time daily to spend with Him. Have conversations with Him. Begin with thanksgiving and praise, meditate in the scriptures, pray the scriptures, and bring personal and other specific requests to God. In Part 4 we will close these discussions with #4, 5, and 6 points respectively, repent and enjoy the Father’s forgiveness, make it a quiet place and time, and the Holy Spirit.
- Any Praise Reports or Requests to share?
- Praise God for the gift of meeting with Him daily
- Pray that we cultivate and maintain a daily devotional habit.
- Pray for one another’s needs as needed.
- Next Small Groups Wednesday, December 6, 2023
- Prayer Summit Saturday, December 2, from 12 pm to 3 pm. Come fasting. This is the last prayer summit for 2023.
- Missions Banquet: https://joyfountain.engagespot.church/events/23
- Every Tuesday in November “Deeper With Jesus” Prayer and Fasting. 6 to 7 pm. You can still join if you’re not participating. There is one more to go: Tuesday, November 28. Sign up here https://joyfountain.engagespot.church/events/18