Faith That Overcomes. Part 4 – The Hebrews 11 Hall of Faith. Hebrews 11:1-12
In previous lessons, we looked at learning the voice of God. We also established early on that faith comes (and it grows in us) as a result of hearing God’s word.
Hebrews Chapter 11 is a passage of scripture, filled with a reverberating chronicle of the many faith heroes we often talk about. The writer summarizes their acts of faith. Everyone listed on there were men and women just like you and I. The God of grace who gave them the ability to do what they did is still here with us today.
Jesus had one concern which He voiced out to the hearing of His disciples in Luke 18:8. He said, “when the Son of Man comes will He find faith on the earth?”
Brothers and sisters, if Jesus were to show up today would your report card show that you are growing in faith? 1 Peter 2:26 says “grow in faith and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ”
The Hall of Faith: Please read and think upon Hebrews 11:1-12
Make an attempt to read verses 12-40 before the next small group meeting
What stood out to you in the scripture text?
- Please discuss any observations you have as a group
- Which one or more Faith Hero/es struck a chord with you the most? And how is that?
- Any other item of interest from the passage?
The Bible tells us in Hebrews 11:6 that “without faith, it is impossible to please Him.” we can reasonably conclude that the people who made this Faith Hall of Fame pleased God. If that is the case then we can trust the Holy Spirit to teach us from their lives. What did they do? What must we do?
1. By faith Abel “offered a more excellent sacrifice…”
Discuss the various ways God calls us to OFFER ourselves or anything to Him.
- Giving praise and thanksgiving to God in a public setting. Hebrews 13:15-16
- Regular giving of money for God’s work. 1 Corinthians 16:1-2
- Doing good to others Galatians 6:9-10
- Holy and righteous living Romans 12:1-2
- What is a sacrifice as you understand it?
2. “By faith Noah being Divinely warned, moved…”
How did Noah move and how are we to move today in heeding God’s teachings? Noah built an ark when there was no sign of rain until the rain came.
- As Noah CONTINUED building the ark despite not having seen rain we should CONTINUE serving God as well. Acts 1:14, Acts 6:4, Acts 12:5, Acts 13:43
- We are building a type of ark by contributing our service to God through His church
- By encouraging others to serve Jesus 1 Thessalonians 5:11
- Let’s keep moving, and never give up in Jesus’ name
3. “By faith Abraham…obeyed…and departed not knowing where…”
- Discuss how Abraham left without knowing the destination. Genesis 12:1-3
- Have there been times when you felt God leading you into something you didn’t fully understand?
- Jesus said if we love Him we will obey Him. John 14:15-17
- Have faith because Jesus said He will never leave us or forsake us. Hebrews 13:5-6
The world is changing rapidly before our eyes and not for the better. Despite the gross darkness we have been called to make a change. We cannot change everybody but we can by God’s help overcome darkness sufficiently to save some. We can by God’s grace receive and grow in faith to empower our families and faith community. The God of grace who gave the Hebrews Faith Heroes the ability to do what they did is still here with us today. May He work in us to for an excellent sacrifice, to move on Divine instruction and obey even when we don’t have all the details. All for His glory. Amen!
- Any Praise Reports?
- Praise God for the Spirit that is here to guide us into all truth
- Pray that we continue to grow in faith as we learn from the Bible heroes of faith.
- Pray for one another’s needs as needed.
- Next Small Groups Wednesday, April 12, 2023
- Prayer Summit Saturday, April 1, from 12 pm to 3 pm. Come fasting
- Next Small Groups: Part 5 – The Hebrews 11 Hall of Faith Continued