“Make it a habit to spend time with God.“
Scripture Reading: (Matthew 17:1-8)(2 Corinthians 3:18)(2 Corinthians 4:2)(Psalm 51:10-12)(Please read and discuss with the questions)
Habits! We all have them, so let’s talk about them. Whether you’ve got good habits (like getting enough sleep or remembering to floss) or bad habits (like biting your nails or checking your phone too often), most of your habits are probably small, tiny, hardly noticeable habits. But over time, those tiny habits can really impact your life, for good or bad. So what about your spiritual habits? What are the small things you do every day that either draw you closer to God or keep you at a distance? Let’s look at some principles from Scripture that have the power to help us develop tiny habits that can make a big impacts! — habits like spending time with God, investing in your relationships, sharing your faith story, and worshipping with your life.
It’s said that it’s easier to create a new habit than break an old one.
- Have you ever tried to develop a new habit or break an old one? How’d that go?
- What’s one good habit you could create to replace a bad one.
- What are some habits you’ve been told can help you grow spiritually?
- What are some habits you’ve tried to develop to help you grow spiritually? How’d that go?
Jesus had a habit of climbing mountains in order to spend some time with God. (Read Matthew 17:1-8)
- How do you think Jesus’ transformation on the mountaintop changed His disciples’ view of Him?
- Has your understanding of Jesus ever changed as a result of spending time with Him? If so, what happened? If not, why do you think that is?
It’s not just Jesus who transformed. We can be transformed too, to be more like Jesus over time. (Read 2 Corinthians 3:18) (2 Corinthians 4:2)(Psalm 51:10-12)
- How can spending time with God change our hearts?
- Has your heart ever changed as a result of spending time with God? If so, what happened? If not, why do you think that is?
- What’s something about your heart that you want to see God transform?
- What’s a new habit you could start today, to spend more time with God?
Until we make it a habit to spend time with Jesus ourselves, we won’t have a chance to see how amazing He truly is or have our misunderstandings about Him transformed. As we spend time with God, we’ll be able to see more clearly who He truly is — and when we spend time with God consistently over time, we can’t help but be transformed. That’s what God’s Spirit does. So this week, give it a try and create a new habit. Whether it’s a new habit of prayer, worship, or reading His word – make it a habit to spend time with God!
- Father God continue to transform us from glory to glory into your image and likeness. (2 Corinthians 3:18)
- Father God continue to create a clean heart in me, replacing anything in my heart which is not from You with Your love. (Psalm 51:10-12)
- Father God give me the grace I need to create new habits in the area of spending time with You.
- Pray for one another as needed.
- Next Small Groups November 23, 2022