The Big Comeback (Part 2)
Scripture Reading: 1 Kings 19:1-8, 2 Kings 2:9-11 (Please read and discuss)
In the first part of this study we opened with how successful comeback movies are and why. Most people love a good comeback. Again for the purposes of our study, a comeback is defined as “a return from a place of impending defeat or a place of defeat”
Today in the message video clip and scripture reading we learn that Elijah, one of the most successful Bible prophets in a moment of depression, asks God to take his life (1 Kings 19:4). It turns out that Elijah made a comeback later on. He ended up not dying but was rather taken up to heaven in a whirlwind. 2 Kings 2:11
We will begin by touching on the subject of “The Big Comeback” as a “retort” or sharp reply to satan’s verbal onslaught as our permanent accuser. See Revelation 12:10
Comeback as a powerful retort against satan’s wiles and accusations.
David responds to Goliath (the enemy) and defeats Goliath giving all of Israel a comeback. 1 Samuel 17:32-46.
- How do you respond when the enemy comes against you with accusations and negatives?
- How have you been responding lately to the enemy’s taunts?
- Why do you think we have to respond against the enemy?
Other Bible Comeback Examples for Discussion
- God gave King Manasseh a comeback. Read 2 Chronicles 33:1-16. What does Manasseh’s comeback tell us about God?
- The Poor Indebted Widow 2 Kings 4:1-8 Do you think comeback miracles are happening today? Do you have one? Do you need one?
Jesus our Master Teacher, when he faced temptation in the wilderness, responded to the devil’s temptation each time with the Holy Scriptures. We need to know the Scriptures to be effective in our response. Matthew 4:1-11. Also no matter our situation if we trust in the Lord He is more than able to give us a much needed comeback in any area of life. Remember He said “I am the God of all flesh, nothing is too hard for me.”
Next time we will look at the steps to a successful comeback in some more detail.
- Declare big comebacks (REVIVAL) for our church JFC and the Churches of Winnipeg despite the pandemic
- Declare that we will know how to respond with scripture to the enemy
- Pray for one another as needed
- Next Small Groups is January 6 2020
- Help us raise $100,000
- Christmas Eve Service 4pm Thursday December 24 on Zoom. Links on event page