The Big Comeback (Part 1)
Scripture Reading: Ezekiel 37:1-14 (Please read, think on and discuss briefly)
Most successful movies are successful because they feature some kind of a comeback story. The same goes for competitive sports teams. Most of us warm up to stories of triumph over difficulties. For the purposes of our study, a comeback is defined as “a return from a place of impending defeat or a place of defeat.”
Do you have a comeback story from feeling defeated? Or are you trusting God for a comeback in any area of your life where you feel there has been a setback? Does the church in Canada and our church JFC need a comeback?
Jesus is the ultimate comeback story. He came into the world and when they thought they had destroyed Him, He returned with a Name above all names. See 1 Corinthians 2:8. Please note that feeling defeat or failure is not necessarily because we have done something wrong. See James 1:2-3
God is a God of “Comebacks.” John 11:20-26.
- Discuss your thoughts with any real life examples where God intervened that you know of as well as Bible stories
- Death for the Christian is not final; it is a transition to eternal life the BIGGEST comeback of all.
Where do you think we MAY need a comeback?
In the course of your personal life, your family, a group of people, the life of a faith community or any nation, a comeback is something to be desired. In the light of scripture, what do you think will happen to the church after this lockdown is over if the right conditions are met?
- As individuals
- As a body of Christ’s followers
Do you think the Church in Canada needs a comeback? If yes, what do you think is needed for that to happen?
- What should a comeback in the church of God look like? Romans 14:17
- What must the church do to experience a comeback? Zechariah 1:3-4
- What individual commitments do you think are required for a comeback?
Conclusion. Hebrews 12:1-2
Everyone needs a comeback at some point or the other. The cloud of witnesses are always watching and cheering us on as “faith athletes” and they will celebrate every comeback with us.
- Declare big comebacks for our church JFC and the Churches of Winnipeg
- Declare big comebacks for families in our church where needed
- Pray for one another as needed
- Next Small Group is December 23 2020.
- Christmas Eve Service December 24 2020