More than a Measure
Scripture Reading: 2 Kings 2:1-18 (Please read)
In today’s scripture reading Elisha, who was prophet Elijah’s assistant knew that Elijah was going to be taken away. Several other prophets in different towns and cities also knew. Only Elisha who wanted “more than a measure” felt the need to follow Elijah until they were parted and Elijah was taken “up to heaven in a whirlwind.” As we read, Elisha left from that experience a changed man going on to become a leading prophetic voice.
Years ago I met a christian lady who had been much of a talkative. She didn’t like that this trait would always get her into lots of trouble. She then decided to pray asking God to help her in this area. Not long after that she was being told by family, friends and people around her that she was different because she had become more measured in her speech and choice of words. God answered her prayer. What do we ask God for?
Before getting into the discussion questions from the scripture reading, let us take 10 minutes to review the things that stood out to you during the reading.
Why do you think Elijah appeared to dissuade Elisha from following him?
- Don’t you think it odd that Elijah was doing this? Does it make any sense that there was a condition? Vs. 9-10
- Would you agree that following Jesus comes with certain conditions?
What did Elisha ask for and what did he recieve?
- Elisha knew what God wanted, became dissatisfied and pursued something better. See Romans 10:11
- Do you know what God wants? The Holy Scriptures are our reliable and final authority to learn the will of God
- Read, meditate on, pray and practice the scriptures as a rule for your life. You won’t be disappointed. See James 1:22
- Pray for speed and finances as we move to a different phase of construction at 106 Burnett Ave.
- Pay that we become “doers of the word and not hearers only”
- Pray for the end of Covid 19
- Pray for one another as needed
- Small Groups
Next Small Groups is November 25, 2020