Scripture Reading: 1 Thessalonians 1:5-10
In our video message excerpt for today’s study and discussion, Greg talked about being rescued out of a highway ditch by a tow truck for $25. Just like the truck in a ditch, there are times in our lives where we cannot rescue ourselves. If each one of us will be honest, we will acknowledge that we have exhibited the telltale sign of our fallen nature and how broken we are in one way or the other.
The character of our fallen nature is like being in a ditch without any help. The truth is that there is nothing we can do to rescue ourselves from the bondage of inherent sin, our self-centeredness, and satan’s schemes without God coming to our rescue.
In our study tonight we will focus on the words RESCUE and PURPOSE which are taken from Greg’s message “Gospel Identity.”
- Jesus’ death on the cross and His resurrection from death accomplishes the impossible RESCUE from SIN. John 3:16
- Like the Thessalonian Christians, our RESCUE is loaded with PURPOSE. We are “rescued for something” (Colossians 3:3, Ephesians 2:10, Phillipians 4:13)
- The Gospel is much more than “getting saved to go to heaven.” Through the power of The Gospel, we can live life successfully as God intends. (Colossians 3:3, 3 John 2, John 15:16)
- Read and discuss 2 Corinthians 5:18-19. What does it speak to you?
RESCUED FOR PURPOSE:
- What is our purpose as individuals within God’s church? Ephesians 4:15-16
- What is our purpose outside the Church community? 1 Peter 2:9
- Like the Thessalonians, we will also face difficulties as we seek to pursue divine purpose. Read 1 Thessalonians 1:6-9 and describe the types of difficulties we will face and the solutions.
- We should find out from God what our individual life assignment is. Romans 12:1-2
God sent Jesus so that our identity would no longer be sin but that we be hidden in and through Christ. When people meet us we should radiate the character of Jesus. Having rescued us from sin, Satan, and ourselves, He also gave us the ministry of RECONCILIATION to bring the message of Divine Rescue to others so they can also have a new identity in the Gospel.
- Read Galatians 2:20 and make it our prayer as we close
- Tuesday Fasting & Prayer
Each Tuesday in March
Register online if you would like to receive the texts and prayer points
- Night of Prayer
Friday, March 13, 10:30 pm
82 Henderson Hwy
- Foundation Course
Saturday, April 18, 9am to 4pm, 83 Henderson Hwy
Please register online:
- Upcoming Baptism
Date: To Be Determined
Register online if you’d like to be baptized
- Only 3 more Small Groups meetings left for 2019/2020 season!
Last meeting on April 15th will be a potluck
Please plan details with your leader