The Church Community
Read: Mark 3:13-15 & Matthew 28:18-20
The Church (the body of Christ on earth) is God’s idea. It is God’s family and community on Earth. Jesus started the community while He was on earth by first selecting a group of people as disciples. Please Read Mark 3:14. The twin purpose was for them to first “be with Him” and second “that he might send them out to preach.”
Discuss Mark 3:14
- What does “to be with Him” mean?
- What are the various ways to be with Jesus Christ today?
- Are we “with Him” sufficiently? Do we have time for Him both in public and in private?
- What do you think will happen if we spent more time with Jesus?
Some lessons from Jesus’ first community of believers
- He chose some to serve as leaders of the community because communities must have leaders.
- He intended for them to significantly touch others outside of their community. Mark 6:7-13
- He commanded love for one another within the community. John 13:34
- Among His last words were instructions to make disciples (enlarge the community). Matthew 28:19.
- The Church is a visible and tangible proof of God’s community at work within a larger community. Ephesians 2:10
- Everyone in the community has a God given responsibility. Take up yours. Ephesians 4:15-16 NLT
The Christian community must engage in her two primary roles of disciple-making and outreach to be relevant. Through making disciples we grow together in Christ and through outreach we reach others who will also become disciples.
Make the 6 items above prayer requests for JFC.